Research shows that good pay and benefits are only part of what inspires employees to give their very best. Recognition and appreciation play an important role as well. University-wide, USC has a number of employee recognition programs. Use these to recognize the accomplishments of your staff when appropriate. A few such programs:
- Top Notch Trojans – USC’s employee shout out program
- Staff appreciation
- President’s Award for Staff Achievement
- Staff Assembly/Staff Club monthly awards
Sometimes the most meaningful recognition opportunities come on a small scale, within departments and units. Here are some suggestions for recognizing both your team, and individuals on your team:
- Arrange for a healthy breakfast or afternoon snacks to say thanks – we appreciate you.
- Hold a special meeting or awards ceremony to celebrate those people in your group with service award anniversaries.
- Take your team out to lunch and tell them why they are appreciated.
- Organize a social outing after work hours, such as a USC basketball game or perhaps a play or concert on campus.
- Make arrangements to view one of the free films shown on campus regularly.
- Pick a theme for each month and do an activity with your staff that relates to it. For example, October is National Cookie Month, so deliver cookies and milk to your staff.
- Institute a casual dress Friday monthly or weekly.
- Take one staff member to lunch each month throughout the year and talk about their goals.
- Send an e-card or hand-written card with a special message of appreciation.
- Ask your staff member what motivates them and then customize your recognition to match.
- Keep thank you and birthday cards handy to give out to staff members when appropriate.